Perspective on pharma: tackling AMR through sustainable antibiotic production - cleantech perspectives @ Clixoo
Perspective on pharma: tackling AMR through sustainable antibiotic production
Sustainable Practices in Pharma Industry
A discussion on why a sustainable approach to developing antibiotics sustainably is key to combatting antimicrobial resistance (AMR).
- By 2050 AMR is predicted to cause 10 million global deaths per year, more than obesity and all cancers combined.
- China and India produce the vast majority of antibiotic APIs and finished dose antibiotics
- A study in Hyderabad, India, found concentrations of antibiotics in treated wastewater higher than those found in the blood of patients being treated with antibiotics
- Sustainable antibiotics can be achieved in two key ways: Making antibiotics in a sustainable way by adopting wastewater emission targets and buying antibiotics and antibiotic ingredients only from responsible sources to ensure a clean supply chain.
- Efforts are being made to improve sustainability of supply chains, most notably through the Pharmaceutical Supply Chain Initiative (PSCI) which requires members to complete five supplier audits each year.