Decarbonising construction: Six things industry could do - cleantech perspectives @ Clixoo
Decarbonising construction: Six things industry could do
Sustainable Practices in Construction Industry
Impactful things that could cut emissions from the process of procuring and constructing buildings and infrastructure.
Perspectives and insights
- Material use could be rationalised through modular components with standardised shapes and connections.
- Buildings are underutilised, and hence a progressive target would be to cut demand for new buildings by 10%-20%.
- The biggest win would be to use sustainable timber as a primary building material instead of structural concrete and steel.
- Targets for reduction in virgin metal and petrochemical-based materials could also significantly reduce CO2 emissions.
- Adopting low- or zero-emission construction machinery is another avenue to cut emissions.