5 of the world's most eco-friendly building materials - cleantech perspectives @ Clixoo
5 of the world's most eco-friendly building materials
Sustainable Building Materials
Five materials that frequently make experts’ lists of eco-friendly building components - bamboo, cork, reclaimed or recycled wood/metal, precast concrete and sheep's wool insulation .
Perspectives and insights
- Bamboo's rate of self-generation is incredibly high, with some species growing up to three feet in 24 hours. Bamboo continues growing without having to be replanted after harvest.
- Bamboo has a high strength-to-weight ratio and exceptional durability — even greater compressive strength than brick or concrete.
- Cork earns bonus points for its ability to be harvested from a living tree that will continue to grow and reproduce the material.
- Aluminum and steel are high embodied energy materials due to the energy required to produce them
- Precast concrete slabs’ sustainability factor is even higher than many traditional poured concrete options because the slabs often take much less energy to produce and assemble.